I really appreciate resources like The Radical Copyeditor’s Style Guide For Writing About Transgender People these! A resource that works “with individuals, groups, and organizations that want their publications, resources, and other material to be sensitive and anti-oppressive with regards to race, class, sexuality, gender, ability, age, body size, religion, nationality, and more”.
Just because someone doesn’t intend to offend someone else, doesn’t erase the impact of the offense. Like it or not, the world and the people in it are becoming more fluid and less beholden to boundaries.
If you want to reach as many people as possible, it makes sense to make an effort to be sensitive to their differences and how they want to be spoken to.
From a writer’s perspective, there are even these things called “Sensitivity Reads” in which they submit their work to be reviewed just for the purpose of catching any potentially offensive and/or inaccurate stereotypes and content from a story. Some authors pay up to $400 for this type of pre-publication review.
Have you read any books that could have used a “Sensitivity Review”? Have you heard about any books that received bad publicity because there was something offensive or inaccurate about a particular group?
Thank you for visiting my blog. Your support means so much to me! The very best ways to support me are:
- Join my VIP List! You’ll receive freebies, special offers, free books, updates on my latest stories, and my quarterly Apatite Books & Café Newsletter.
- Pre-order my books, invest in editorial reviews, pre-publication critiques, and more at my Selz Store
- Recommend my books for Pre-order to your friends
- Invite me to speak at your event or recommend me as a speaker to an event you know about (conferences, book clubs, meetings, retreats, fundraisers, and more)
- Like and follow me on social media, share my posts and Tweets!
- If you’re on Goodreads, add my books to your lists and vote for them
- Last but not least: Live your values aloud, not alone. Be open minded, open hearted, and support justice, love, learning, and hope.
I appreciate you! Stay in touch 💜🖤