I really appreciate resources like The Radical Copyeditor’s Style Guide For Writing About Transgender People these! A resource that works “with individuals, groups, and organizations that want their publications, resources, and other material to be sensitive and anti-oppressive with regards to race, class, sexuality, gender, ability, age, body size, religion, nationality, and more”.
Just because someone doesn’t intend to offend someone else, doesn’t erase the impact of the offense. Like it or not, the world and the people in it are becoming more fluid and less beholden to boundaries.
If you want to reach as many people as possible, it makes sense to make an effort to be sensitive to their differences and how they want to be spoken to.
From a writer’s perspective, there are even these things called “Sensitivity Reads” in which they submit their work to be reviewed just for the purpose of catching any potentially offensive and/or inaccurate stereotypes and content from a story. Some authors pay up to $400 for this type of pre-publication review.
Have you read any books that could have used a “Sensitivity Review”? Have you heard about any books that received bad publicity because there was something offensive or inaccurate about a particular group?
Thank you for visiting my blog. Your joining my tribe of readers means so much to me! The best ways to support me in making the world a better place and giving reprieve and joy to those who need it most through my writing is:
- Like my Facebook Page and comment on my blog posts
- Join my VIP List! You’ll receive freebies, special offers, free books, updates on my latest stories, and my quarterly Apatite Books & Café Newsletter.
- Pre-order my books
- Invite me to speak at your event or recommend me as a speaker to an event you know about (conferences, book clubs, meetings, retreats, fundraisers, and more)
- If you’re on Goodreads, add my books to your lists and vote for them
- Last but not least: Live your values aloud, not alone. Do at least one thing a day that helps the world be more welcoming, inclusive and just. My two favorite resources for this are https://www.uua.org and https://www.lp.org/the-libertarian-party
I appreciate you! Stay in touch