I️ really appreciate these wonderful and courageous folks for sharing their thoughts and experiences.
One of my friends was interviewed in this video called “A Few Things to Know About Being Transgendered.”
I really give her and everyone else in this props for being so open and courageous! Even within the GLBTQ community, transgender folks sometimes experience mistreatment. They are not “male” enough, “female” enough, or even “gay” enough. Is a Male to Female person who’s attracted to women gay or straight? Which bathroom should they use? Are they a “real” transgender person if they haven’t had surgery (yet)?
I think when we stop trying to identify transgender people one way or another and just let them tell us, it would help the world be a better place.
One thing I have found is that people tend to understand “gay” more than “transgender”. Even if you don’t support the idea that people have the right to love who they want, being gay is arguably more clear than what being transgender means.
When I fuss with family or friends about certain things, I say “You don’t have to understand why. I’m just asking you to accept and not give me a hard time about it.” In other words, you don’t have to understand why transgender people do what they do. You don’t have to understand why some have surgery and other don’t. You don’t have to understand any of that to still demonstrate that every person has inherent worth and dignity. That every person is free to do what they want and feel the way they feel, especially as long as they’re not hurting anyone else.
You can support equal access to bathrooms, laws that prohibit discrimination against transgender peoples, and other things that support human rights while not understanding or even agreeing with all things transgender.
For example, your spouse doesn’t have to understand why you’re sad about something in particular. Not understanding why doesn’t and shouldn’t preclude them from still being supportive and encouraging to you.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Your support means so much to me! The very best ways to support me are:
- Subscribe to my blog and comment on my posts
- Join my VIP List! You’ll receive freebies, special offers, free books, updates on my latest stories, and my quarterly Apatite Books & Café Newsletter.
- Pre-order my books!
- Recommend or purchase my services for writers: I offer formal editorial book reviews, pre-publication critiques, and more via Moon Rose Reviews at my Selz Store
- Recommend my books for Pre-order to your friends or purchase them as gifts for others.
- Invite me to speak at your event or recommend me as a speaker to an event you know about (conferences, book clubs, meetings, retreats, fundraisers, and more)
- Hang out with me on Twitter – it’s my favorite! Like my Facebook page or Friend me
- If you’re on Goodreads, add my books to your lists and vote for them
- Last but not least: Live your values aloud, not alone. Be open minded, openhearted, and support justice, love, learning, and hope. Seek a world of liberty where all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and are not forced to sacrifice their values for the benefit of others
I appreciate you! Stay in touch 💜🖤