How Standard Networking Kills a Career and Serving Others is a Better Way For Connecting
I just read an article by Mark H. Maxwell, author of Networking Kills: Success Through Serving that really moved me. It was so enlightening and well-written. I’ve heard many of the concepts before, but his unique slant on them was impressive.
He shares how he went to a music festival to find clients and left without achieving his goal. He says, “On reflection, I realized I missed so many opportunities to love and serve others that week, because my focus was only on me, my needs, my business, not on the needs, brokenness, and businesses of those with whom I was rubbing shoulders. You see: “I was trying to make myself visible, SERVING is about making ourselves available.” Giving Value Lasts.
As per marketing, he says “Serving gives and attracts while Networking takes and repels. The Best Marketing Plan” for your product or business comes through genuine love, generosity, and care for others. When you build relationships on those themes — without strings attached — you open up a stream of provision that flows both ways.”
Check out his article here, then pick up his book! He also has a great Tedx talk on the topic.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Your joining my tribe of readers means so much to me! The best ways to support me in making the world a better place and giving reprieve and joy to those who need it most through my writing is:
- Like my Facebook Page and comment on my blog posts
- Join my VIP List! You’ll receive freebies, special offers, free books, updates on my latest stories, and my quarterly Apatite Books & Café Newsletter.
- Pre-order my books
- Invite me to speak at your event or recommend me as a speaker to an event you know about (conferences, book clubs, meetings, retreats, fundraisers, and more)
- If you’re on Goodreads, add my books to your lists and vote for them
- Last but not least: Live your values aloud, not alone. Do at least one thing a day that helps the world be more welcoming, inclusive and just. My two favorite resources for this are https://www.uua.org and https://www.lp.org/the-libertarian-party
I appreciate you! Stay in touch
Leave a Comment