Spark (3 of 11) Into the darkness
I stare at the dirt floor with blurry eyes. I can’t focus. Blood drips from my face. Is it my nose or my mouth? My stomach aches. Burning. Hurting.
“Who’s been at you, Diana? I’m not going to ask again.”
I try to answer Father, but sharp words catch jagged in my throat. I cough on my own blood, and my throat hurts from him choking me. I blacked out, but that didn’t stop the pain. I can’t see, but I can feel everything. I moan and keep shifting my legs. My whole body trembles.
My life slips away with every drop of blood that clots out of me. When I feel myself slip into the afterlife, I scream in my heart as I fall fast. My baby girl is pressed tightly against my chest; there is no way I’m letting go. Like a stone in a slingshot, something pulls me back before the air pushes out of me, like I have been kicked in the stomach. My baby slips through my fingers and continues to fall. I scream and whimper. Reaching out in vain for my child. I hang there, swinging gently back and forth. My baby falls into the darkness. I can’t see her anymore. It’s as if there is a thin string holding me between the two worlds, not letting go. The thinnest of threads with an unmatched strength that has been waiting for me. Ready to hold me. Refusing to release my soul into the darkness.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Your joining my tribe of readers means so much to me! The best ways to support me in making the world a better place and giving reprieve and joy to those who need it most through my writing is:
- Like my Facebook Page and comment on my blog posts
- Join my VIP List! You’ll receive freebies, special offers, free books, updates on my latest stories, and my quarterly Apatite Books & Café Newsletter.
- Pre-order my books
- Invite me to speak at your event or recommend me as a speaker to an event you know about (conferences, book clubs, meetings, retreats, fundraisers, and more)
- If you’re on Goodreads, add my books to your lists and vote for them
- Last but not least: Live your values aloud, not alone. Do at least one thing a day that helps the world be more welcoming, inclusive and just. My two favorite resources for this are https://www.uua.org and https://www.lp.org/the-libertarian-party
I appreciate you! Stay in touch
Leave a Comment