Spark (5 of 11) “That smells great. Where’s mine?”
I sleep for a long while. When I wake, Mother is standing over me with a large bowl of soup.
“That smells great. Where’s mine?” Louis asks. He peers into the bowl. “That looks like meat! We haven’t had any in as long as I can remember.”
“Sweetheart, this is a special soup just for your sister,” Mother says as she lifts the spoon to my chapped lips. “To help her feel better.” I accept the spoon and swallow the finely cut, tender chunks. I look past her to our small kitchen. Three of her special powders are open and sitting on the wooden counter. The smooth brown walls of our cottage are rotted and unstable, dark with patches of mold.
My eyes open wide. This was delicious.
“That’s not fair,” he says.
“I can share, Mother.” My voice comes hoarse. “Who gave us meat? That was nice of them.” My throat hurts, and the warm liquid is soothing against it. “Louis, come here.”
“No!” Mother says sharply, shooing him away. She pauses and regains her composure, speaking gently, “This is Diana’s. Louis, your supper is still warm. It’s over there wrapped in the plantain leaves.” She motions towards it. He obeys.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Your joining my tribe of readers means so much to me! The best ways to support me in making the world a better place and giving reprieve and joy to those who need it most through my writing is:
- Like my Facebook Page and comment on my blog posts
- Join my VIP List! You’ll receive freebies, special offers, free books, updates on my latest stories, and my quarterly Apatite Books & Café Newsletter.
- Pre-order my books
- Invite me to speak at your event or recommend me as a speaker to an event you know about (conferences, book clubs, meetings, retreats, fundraisers, and more)
- If you’re on Goodreads, add my books to your lists and vote for them
- Last but not least: Live your values aloud, not alone. Do at least one thing a day that helps the world be more welcoming, inclusive and just. My two favorite resources for this are https://www.uua.org and https://www.lp.org/the-libertarian-party
I appreciate you! Stay in touch
Leave a Comment