No Independence on Independence Day
For as long as I can remember, the Indigenous people of the United States have complained about the lies and hypocrisy surrounding what most of us know as “Columbus Day”. Since then, many states have caught on and now rightfully celebrate “Indigenous Peoples Day” instead.
I don’t profess to know what Native people have gone through as they dealt with the disrespect of others celebrating the brutal colonization of their homeland, but this past 4th of July I can at least relate to them a little more.
As far as I’m concerned, this 4th of July has been cancelled. When women lose control of their own bodies – there is no independence to be had. Politicians and overzealous religious people pushing their beliefs on others will cause the death of many – as women are not able to get the healthcare they need nor responsibly plan for their families.
I read a meme the other day that quoted a 80 something year old woman. It said something to the effect of, “I told my husband six children was enough. After that, I just started throwing them in the river.”
The overturning of Roe V. Wade is heartbreaking on so many levels. This means each of us need to up our game by speaking up and acting on these levels and more.
SACReD, https://www.sacreddignity.org/, a faith-based organization that supports “the fulfillment of reproductive moral agency and flourishing for all” provides us with 5 actions we can take:
- Sign on to the SACReD Affirmations
- Follow SACReD on Twitter and Instagram
- Donate to local abortion funds
- Donate to woman of color-led reproductive justice groups like SisterSong and SisterReach
- Organize your faith community
I ask you to move forward with at least two of these. Everyone should have the right to their own religious beliefs, but when we force them on others (and against the advice of their doctors and families) things have gone too far. What happened to the separation of church and state? This slippery slope is terrifying. They won’t stop at controlling women’s bodies – they are coming for more and we must not stop in pushing back.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Your joining my tribe of readers means so much to me! The best ways to support me in making the world a better place and giving reprieve and joy to those who need it most through my writing is:
- Like my Facebook Page and comment on my blog posts
- Join my VIP List! You’ll receive freebies, special offers, free books, updates on my latest stories, and my Apatite Books & Café Newsletter.
- Pre-order my books
- Invite me to speak at your event or recommend me as a speaker to an event you know about (conferences, book clubs, meetings, retreats, fundraisers, and more)
- If you’re on Goodreads, add my books to your lists and vote for them
- Last but not least: Live your values aloud, not alone. Do at least one thing a day that helps the world be more welcoming, inclusive and just. My two favorite resources for this are https://www.uua.org and https://www.lp.org/the-libertarian-party
I appreciate you! Stay in touch
Leave a Comment